Baked asparagus is a really tasty, but quick and easy side dish to prepare. This recipe turns out looking as good as it tastes, so you can take a simple dinner idea and raise it to a whole new level of visual and flavourful delight!
Making the dish…
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Place almonds on a baking tray and bake for 5 minutes or until lightly toasted, then remove from oven and set aside. Leave oven on to bake the asparagus.
- Cut lemon in half lengthways, then cut 1 half in 4 wedges which will be used when serving the dish. Put the other half aside.
- Trim the ends of the asparagus and place on a baking tray and drizzle with oil.
- Crush the garlic and sprinkle over the asparagus, as well as the salt if using, then squeeze the juice of the remaining lemon half on top.
- Place tray of prepared asparagus into the oven for about 10 minutes. (It should be slightly browned, softened but still firmly holding shape when ready)
- Serve baked asparagus as a side dish, sprinkled with toasted, flaked almonds and a wedge of lemon.
My favourite way to serve this asparagus dish, is alongside a baked potato that is served with humus, roasted red peppers and a few Kalamata olives. The lemon and garlic asparagus is a perfect combination of tangy flavours that goes so well with the creaminess of the potato and humus, the sweetness of the peppers, the saltiness of the olives and the nutty crunch of toasted, flaked almonds. It’s a warming, comforting dish that also has the freshness of the season about it so it is perfect for enjoying right now.