It’s Easter time again and what could be better for celebrating with your family than a delicious, special yet healthy brunch.
Nothing shouts special brunch louder than waffles! Soft and fluffy, sweet and spicy, these waffles have been given an Easter twist with the addition of finely shredded carrot and carrot cake spices. Who said you couldn’t eat cake for breakfast?
It’s ok though because these waffles are good for you; they are gluten free and vegan and contain no refined sugar. They also provide plenty of protein and slow release carbs, and veggies too, bonus!
You could make these for brunch topped with coconut yoghurt, chopped walnuts, and maple syrup, or for dessert topped with Booja Booja caramel pecan praline ice cream and crushed pecan nuts. Yum.
However and whenever you serve them, they are a treat the whole family will enjoy.
To make the waffles:
- In a small bowl, mix the non-dairy milk and vinegar. Set aside for 2 minutes.
- Add in the coconut oil, maple syrup, coconut yoghurt and grated carrot and whisk thoroughly.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, coconut sugar, spices and salt.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry and ensure it is smooth with no lumps of flour.
- Leave to sit while the waffle maker heats up.
- When the waffle maker is ready, ladle in enough waffle batter to fill it and cook according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Serve warm with toppings of your choice.