28th February is Pancake Day and who doesn’t want to participate in that? Sweet, savoury, breakfast or dinner, there’s no wrong way to enjoy pancakes!
At Infinity Foods we sell a great gluten free pancake mix by Amisa, which is really simple to make. It’s perfect for people who are intolerant to gluten, so that they can join in with pancake day easily.
For everyone else, here is a really basic, vegan, dairy free pancake recipe and some ideas on how to enjoy them in different ways.
To make the pancakes:
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the egg replacer.
- Add the milk to the bowl and stir with a whisk or wooden spoon until the mixture is combined well and any lumps are broken down.
- In a non-stick frying pan, pour in 1 teaspoon vegetable oil (optional, if you have a good non-stick pan you may not need to use oil) and place on the hob on a medium heat.
- When the pan is hot, pour in 1/3 cup of the mixture.
- Bubbles will begin to form on the surface of the mixture as it cooks. When the pancake is about half covered in bubbles (approx. 2 minutes), flip the pancake over and cook for an additional minute or so.
- Transfer your cooked pancake to a plate and repeat the cooking steps with the remaining mixture.
- your pancakes are now ready to serve!
Perfect partners for pancakes:
You can serve pancakes with so many different toppings. Here are a few of the most delicious!
- Fresh fruit – berries go wonderfully with pancakes. Add a drizzle of maple syrup too and they will taste truly decadent.
- Icing sugar and lemon juice – the sweet and tangy combination of fresh lemon juice squeezed over pancakes and dusted with icing sugar is divine.
- Smokey tempeh and maple syrup – a vegan version of Canadian pancakes. Tofurky Tempeh Slices taste bacon-y, and with a slurp of maple syrup they are a perfect match.
- Banana and peanut butter – slices of banana and a dollop of peanut butter or almond butter make a tasty breakfast treat.