This pasta salad with pesto and fresh asparagus is ridiculously easy to make! It can be served warm for dinner on a cool night in, but is equally delicious cold so it can be taken on a picnic in the sunshine. Sometimes, I make this dish for dinner and take leftovers in a container to work for lunch the next day. You can use a rice or corn pasta for a gluten free version. Most vegan pesto is gluten free, but check the ingredients just to be sure.
- Cook the pasta according to packet instructions, drain and set aside
- Heat the oil (if using) in a large pan on your hob and add the sliced red onion
- Stir the onion around the pan while cooking for about 5 minutes on a medium-high heat
- Turn the heat to medium and add the asparagus and peppers to the pan, continuing to stir occasionally for a further 7-10 minutes
- Turn the heat to low, add the jar of pesto and the pasta to the pan. Stir so that everything is evenly coated in pesto and heated throughout.
- If eating warm, serve immediately and garnish with pine nuts or sunflower seeds and a wedge of lemon or lime. If you are eating it cold, put the prepared dish in a large bowl or container in the fridge and eat when you’re ready! It will last for 48 hours in the fridge.