It’s Apple Day on September 24th and there are many fun activities in Stanmer Park every year, celebrating the season of our local apple varieties. As a sponsor of the day, Infinity Foods always gets involved and this year we’ve got some delicious apple recipes for you to try. We have got 6 different recipe cards printed up which are available to come and collect in the shop. Our talented graphic designer, Amy Hope has drawn beautiful pictures of the many apples to discover, which you will find on the back of the recipe cards and in our shop windows.
Here is one of the recipes for you to enjoy during this exciting apple season.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celcius and line a 12 hole muffin tray with papers.
- In a large bowl, mix the margarine and coconut sugar together.
- Add the applesauce, vanilla extract and cinnamon. Cream with a hand mixer until all ingredients are will combined.
- Add the self-raising flour 1/2 a cup at a time without overworking the batter.
- Put 1 tablespoon of cake mix in each muffin paper and then add a layer of sliced apples to each one.
- Top with the remaining cake mixture and place in the oven on the middle tray for about 20 minutes. You can check if they are ready by inserting a wooden skewer into one of the cakes. When it comes out clean, take the cakes out of the oven and allow to cool.
- To toast the coconut for the top of the cupcakes, pour it onto a non-stick oven tray and bake for 3-5 minutes after removing the cakes. When it is starting to turn brown, it’s done.
- Using a hand mixer, beat the margarine and vanilla extract, adding the icing sugar 1/2 a cup at a time.
- When the icing is smooth, fluffy and well combined, it is ready to be used.
- Ice each of the cooled cupcakes with the frosting and sprinkle with toasted coconut.